Steering Committee Members & Subcommitees

Steering Committee Members

  • Kami Chavis, Associate Provost for Academic Initiatives
  • Dean Franco, Professor of English
  • Derek Hicks, Associate Professor of Religion and Culture – Director, Center for Research, Engagement, and Collaboration in African American Life
  • Shonda Jones, School of Divinity Senior Associate Dean for Strategic Initiatives and Integrative Learning
  • Rogan Kersh, Provost (Ex-Officio)
  • Dave McIntosh, Vice President, Chief Inclusion and Diversity Officer (Wake Forest Baptist Health)
  • Gigi Parent, Director of Internship Development, Business Enterprise Management Program
  • Tony Parent, Professor of History
  • Tim Pyatt, Dean of the Z. Smith Reynolds Library
  • Prince Rivers, Board of Trustees Member
  • Joseph Soares, Professor of Sociology
  • Kelly Starnes, President of AWFUBA
  • Mary Tribble, Senior Advisor for Engagement Strategies
  • José Villalba, Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer
  • Mariama Jallow, Student Government Senator (`22)
  • Devin Kilpatrick, Masters In Management (‘20)

Subcommittees

  • Built History/Original Campus: The charge is to identify and facilitate opportunities for research, teaching, and engagement around the early history as it relates to the original campus and the town of Wake Forest. The built landscape will provide context to encourage and support learning about the lives of the enslaved people who worked and lived on the campus, as well as the legacies of slavery that shaped the college prior to the move to Winston-Salem.
  • Scholarly Engagement (Lecture Series):  The charge is to develop a theme for the year, choose another “signature” speaker to invite, and think about alternative types of events (public conversations, panel discussions, intimate discussion groups) to engage the broader Wake Forest University Community.
  • Faculty/Student Engagement: The charge is to develop a proposal to encourage course development and sustainable curricular enhancements (i.e., new departments, programs, targeted hiring, a conference on course development around slavery and race).
  • Enhancing Traditions: The charge is to identify campus “traditions” (i.e., Founders Day), and to draft a proposal for suggested modifications to make these events more inclusive of the entire campus history and reflect diversity of community.

In This Section


Stay informed of our progress and upcoming events of interest by subscribing to our mailing list.

Join the Group

    Steering Committee Meeting Mintues

  • September 25, 2019 Meeting

    Slavery, Race and Memory Meeting Minutes

    Reynolda 204

    September 25, 2019

    3:00-4:00 p.m.

    In Attendance: D. McIntosh, T. Parent, G. Parent, T. Pyatt, J. Soares, M. Tribble, J. Villalba, K. Chavis, D. Franco, M. Jallow, D. Hicks

    • Introduction of New Steering Committee Members

    Professor Derek Hicks

    Mariama Jallow ‘22

    • Retreat Debrief/Review Priorities for the Academic Year
    1. Chavis: How will we broaden the work of this committee.  What outcomes would we like to see come to fruition?  
    2. Hicks – The engagement of going to the original campus concretized the work for me:  The conversation and class trip has emerged from Dr. Hicks taking a trip to the original campus; What else can emerge from this work; Hicks has contacted a local poet to engage his class to have them think about the ways in which they can engage with the space and experience
    3. Franco – If you do things that are one-off, they will come and go; Walker consistently pushed the committee to think outside of the box; As we begin to lay out our priorities we should aim for transformation
    4. Tribble – We need to be cognitively aware that we are presenting this information as sustainable and scalable 
    5. Chavis – We can create a call for student research projects; mentioned URECA as a way for the project to partner with entities that are already functioning on campus – with the capacity to provide funding on campus; we must have actionable items to make this work scalable and sustainable –
    6. T. Parent – We have the capacity to have SRMP events on our annual academic calendar, voted on by faculty members
    7. Chavis – We need to be nimble with regards to who we ask to serve on sub-committee; suggests that a subset of the committee to take on the charge of faculty engagement committee; how can we be most effective and stay in our lane; Kami will send out an email
    8. Jallow – Students in student government have speculation as to why the Board of Trustees minutes are not accessible
    9. Kersh – There are groups of individuals that already exists within various departments, the college, and schools (CAP Committee) that can be a vital asset to the shaping and implementation of SRMP subject matter within various curricula; we may want to look into asset mapping

          Faculty Engagement Committee 

    Charge: is to develop a proposal to encourage course development and sustainable curricular enhancements (i.e., new departments, programs, targeted hiring, a conference on course development around slavery and race)

    1. Chavis – Forthcoming micro-grants will be posted to the SRMP website – in particular, the Campus-Wide Engagement Grant and Course Enhancement Grant: the SRMP Travel Grant will be placed on the Provost Office’s website – 

    McIntosh – Is there a rubric for evaluating the who and what type of projects will receive a grant?

    • Enhancing Traditions Committee 

    Charge: to identify campus “traditions” (i.e., Founders Day), and to draft a proposal for suggested modifications to make these events more inclusive of the entire campus history and reflect the diversity of the community.

    1. Hicks – Asked what are the ways in which we can infiltrate the fabric/traditions of our campus with regards to the work that is occurring in our academic space-enhancing our traditions – Edith Wyschogrod – The Ethics of Remembering; we are trying to extract the voices from a cataclysm 
    • Built History Committee 

    With regard to sub-committees – after being populated, a google doc will be placed on the SRMP website to capture individuals who have an interest in serving 

    • Updates

    Lecture/Symposia Committee (google doc)

    1. Chavis explained that there is now a google document that can be accessed via the SRMP drive to make suggestions for visiting lecturers.

    Campus Engagement Grant Application

    Course Enhancement Grant Application

    BOT Minutes – J. Villalba – BOT Minutes; There is a proposal that will eventually go to the committee on trustees – The question to be asked is “are these minutes accessible online; the second question is who is going to digitize these minutes”  – more and more requests are being made to access BOT minutes; The BOT meets again in January; Jose will keep the committee informed

    Hate Emails – J. Soares briefed the committee on the hate mails that were sent directly to the Sociology department as well as to the other centers on campus.  Additionally, he provided the committee with a timeline of events as to how the situation was handled.  

  • October 21, 2019 Meeting

    Slavery, Race and Memory Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

    October 21, 2019

    Budget Conference Room 23

    10:00am – 11:00am

    Devin Kilpatrick was welcomed and introduced as the newest member of the SRMP’s Steering Committee.   Currently, a graduate student in the Business school working on a Masters in Management, Devin also served on the Princeton & Slavery Project while in undergrad. 

    1. Universities Studying Slavery -Xavier University Conference Update (Sean McClure) 

    Sean attended the conference in Cincinnati, OH at both Xavier University as well as the University of Cincinnati and gave a presentation with information pertaining Georgetown University’s 272 Reforendum, Student Research from Banard College, as well as colleagues he met from Elon Univerisity, The Citadel, and Guilford College, while attending the conference.

    • SRMP Arthur Vining Grant Application Update (Tim Pyatt)

    We, unfortunately, were not invited to submit an application for the Arthur Vining Davis Foundation.  However, we need to vigorously need to pursue grant writing opportunities for the University. This particular application was in pursuit of $100,000 as a planning grant.  If you are aware of anything please pass it on to us.  

    • Refining Subcommittee Charges (see attached subcommittee worksheet)
    • Scholarly Engagement Subcommittee Report (Kami Chavis)

    The Provost Office Website now has SRMP grants on it. Several applications have been submitted.  

    o   Dr. David Ikard, November 14, Porter Byrum Welcome Center 5:30p

    o   Public Conversation re: Celebration of Black Women integrating the Residence Halls: On Friday, January 31, there will be a celebratory dinner to celebrate these women.  Saturday morning will be a continental breakfast and panel with these women followed by a panel capturing the modern experiences of Black Women on the Campus of Wake Forest University.     January 31 – February 1. SRMP will be a co-sponsor for this event and effort – as we broaden the scope of this project.  

    • Built History Subcommittee Report (Mary Tribble)

    Matt Capps report has received an introduction that contextualizes the work of SRMP 

    1.               Other Business

    o   CER recently covered the current work of the SRMP.  Individuals from the Steering Committee were interviewed within the article that articulated the vision, scope, and purpose of this Project. 

    o   Updated Powerpoint/Talking Points

     

  • November 18, 2019 Meeting

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

    November 18, 2019

    Reynolda Hall 204

    10:00 am – 11:00 am

    • Ethics of Student Research – Corey Walker 

    Dr. Walker offered reflections on the various writing projects aforementioned by Dean Franco (teaching initiatives/writing initiatives, new institutional reflection publications, and annual reports).

    • “How can we imagine things that are lost? What kind of legacy can we imagine despite loss and despite the absence of things that never were?  (Arthur Jafa) Wake Forest is a member of the Council on Undergraduate Research – How do we conduct undergraduate research that will be integrated into the core fabric of the institution; The Council on Undergraduate Research provides us with a broad template.  Ethics become a set of practices/responsibilities that informs how we conduct ourselves, research, reflective practices, and define exactly what this project is about. [Particular efforts to pursue] – develop a mission statement and creating an academically appropriate portfolio of work.
    • As scholars what types of knowledge and relationships do we engagement with – 

    what analytical, cultural, and institutional issues and struggles do we confront when critically addressing the questions of the SRMP at WFU? 

    • This particular project will allow us to cultivate a new climate of academic/ intellectual culture at WFU. How do we begin to think about historical issues? What sorts of frameworks and models do we need to think beyond the current situation?  Some of the key issues that we may be to confront such as the politics of knowledge re/production – [how do we deal with scholars without portfolios?] 
    • By interrogating Cultures of Collaboration, Authority of the Archives, Conflict of Obligations, and “Cultures of “Ownership” – how do we:
      • develop recuitize pedagogical techniques?
      • break down such institutionalized thinking? 
      • What does it mean when we send Black scholars into White communities and when White scholars go into Black communities? 
    • There is an ethical dimension of this work that must be pursued and understood. 

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Publication – Tim Pyatt & Kami Chavis

    Last week a group of SRMP SC Members met with Dr. Hatch who is interested in us publishing a publication that inter

    Framework – Intro by Tony Parent – Calvin Jones Plantation, Bill Leonard – Baptist Connection, Sally Wait – Role of Women, Kami and Tim – Postscript (ongoing work of SRMP), Should include an institutional apology as well – this will not replace an annual report – could be a multi-volume publication, The president would like for this to be published by May, many of the people asked to contribute have done so already. Expository Essays not necessarily academic articles – student and faculty work will be included

    Hicks – recently took his Af. Am. Religious Experience – to the original campus; students were impacted by the experience and; 

    Franco – (clarification) There have been several publications that have been made, exactly reports by committees, annual report from SRMP,  publication asked for by President Hatch, I believe that we should publish peer-reviewed work that circulates beyond the realm of the SRMP SC.  

    Chavis- several people have agreed in a preliminary  capacity

    • Committee Updates & Membership Discussion
      1. Built Histories – Mary Tribble
      2. Enhancing Traditions – Tim Pyatt
      3. Lecture & Symposium – Kami Chavis
      4. Faculty Engagement (Not yet convened) 

     

    • Other Business

     

     

  • December 16, 2019 Meeting

    Slavery, Race and Memory Meeting Minutes

    December 16, 2019

    Reynolda 204

    10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.

     

    Committee Updates

    • Symposia/Lecture Series Committee: When the committee last met, Michelle Gillespie, Andrew Canady, and Kami were present; the idea had been raised by members of the steering committee that so many people are doing work related to our vision statement and that it would be a good idea for the individuals that we know about should engage with other to highlight the work that is happening within the University. The committee is inviting everyone to a half day Faculty Colloquia for people to share the work (research and instruction) they are doing around SRMP. Two dates are currently being polled to solidify a date.

    Rogan – Is this in any shape or form related to the Inclusive Pedagogy Conference coming April 22-23, 2020? (Kami) stated that she sees this being completely different.  This is really about the content of the courses and research around SRMP; It’s not duplicative – there is not much overlap.

    • Built History Committee – The news team is writing a story on Derek Hicks’ class visiting the original campus. The committee has created a proposal to repeat an internship at the original campus to further the work that has already started.  The idea is to have this work lead the way for an archeological project at the original campus.  Other class projects are coming up next spring.  Also, Mary noted that Andrew Canady will be teaching on campus in the Spring Semester? (Shonda) asked is there a way in which we are engaging in our original campus as well as our current campus? (Kami) stated that SRMP will have a committee that focuses on Naming – we will have our first meeting in January or February.  Kenneth Townsend, Devin, are some individuals who have been invited to be a part of this committee.  Devin has highlighted the possibility of us pursuing future opportunities.
    • Enhancing Traditions Committee – The committee has met twice now with a subset of committee members. The committee is currently looking for a student member as well as someone from OCCE.  They would like to see some of the work of SRMP being intertwined with all of the University’s major traditions.  After the first meeting, the thought emerged that the committee would consider Founders Day as a good place of engagement. There has been conversation around being more intentional with work/programming with regards to Founder’s Day.
    • Faculty/Student Engagement Committee – There is a SMRP group-list that allows individuals to join and be informed. We possibly begin marketing/engagement working groups to the group of individuals that are currently (Dean and Leann) will be chairing this group.
        • Currently, the Wake Fellow for the Provost’s Office is looking at courses in the college and Sean McClure identifying courses within the Professional Schools
        • The committee is developing a partnership with EUREKA, we will be able to have two SRMP Fellows potentially.
        • The question has emerged as to how do we diversify our faculty and curriculum?
        • This committee will be charged with exactly deciphering what would be necessary to pursue the formulating of a SRMP postdoctoral program. – Faculty sent a letter to Rogan, Kami, Michelle, and Jose with thoughts surrounding a postdoc

    A myriad of questions pertaining to this committee emerged after Dean’s committee report as follows –

    (Rogan) With Interdisciplinary, Team teaching, what would happen if we had a prerequisite of working across disciplines with regard to the Project? (Hicks) The answers that we are trying to answer are not emerging out of 1 discipline.  (Kami) Course Development Grants have yet to be created because the call should be cultivated by faculty (HIcks) Could a community intellectual (Kami) What are the impediments of working across Universities and disciplines?

    Other Business

    • Universities Studying Slavery Business Meeting at the University of Virginia on March 5-6, 2020

    February 8, 2020, Black Law Student Association Banquet

  • January 17, 2020 Meeting

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Meeting Minutes

    January 17, 2020

    Reynolda 204

    11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.

    Assoc. Provost Chavis welcomed everyone back.  Often times people have questions about what is transpiring with the project – what can we say that SRMP being is doing?  Anything that we are doing can be seen on the website.  Recently, a SRMP presentation was given to update the President’s Commission Members on what we have been doing.

    1. Committee Updates
    • Faculty/Student Engagement Subcommittee (Dean Franco)
      • Course Inventory: Dean has send out an email to all department chairs to ask about their schools/departments –
      • African-American Studies Program Proposal – has set up a meeting with the Dean of the College and others to discuss what the best way to pursue and craft a proposal for the College – Dean had a long confirmation about Af. Am. Studies; Particular members of the Steering Committee currently serve on subcommittees with SRMP and the President’s Commission and it has been recommended that they be utilized as a resource
      • URECA Collaboration –a meeting has been set up with the Director to investigate ways in which we can collaborate
      • The humanities institute gives a stipend to faculty for a summer stipend for individuals interested in developing capacity with the archives – We will be utilizing that stipend to further SRMP research; It was suggested that the faculty engagement committee should make recommendations as to how faculty members can be better supported in utilizing the archives
    • Symposia/Lecture Series Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)
      • Faculty Colloquium/Tentative Date is 2/25 – The ideas is for us to present a casual opportunity; In the coming two weeks steering committee will be notified of more information as to how the day will transpire. Staff members from the Wake Forest Museum and ZSR
      • Spring Lecture Series – An invitation to Dr. Dana Matthew will be extended – Just Medicine: How to Cure Racial Inequities from UVA; thoughts have been around at the downtown location with possibly inviting bookmarks to participate in a book signing.
    • Exploration of Naming Opportunities Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)
      • The charge will be forthcoming in the next week. If anyone would like to from the steering committee would like to join, please contact Kami.
    • Built History Subcommittee (Mary Tribble) The article published in Diverse in Higher Education featured Derek Hicks’ classes trip to the original campus.
      • Archaeological Survey – Several individuals from WFU went and met with the leaders of SEBTS; Have received permission to participate in a ground penetrating radar – (non-evasive) test. The idea is to do this work to have a better understanding of the plantation and original built history.  In doing so we may be able to locate the placement of the enslaved workers who were killed while building the original campus.  There is also a conversation of possibility of community building with SEBTS, the broader Wake Forest, NC community members, and WFU; Mary and her team are in the process of planning a trip to Mt. Pillar to speak with their Head of Archaeology as to discover best
    1. Enhancing Traditions Subcommittee (Tim Pyatt)
      1. Founders’ Day Update – The committee has met twice; several individuals from the Steering Committee have met with individuals about a revised agenda for Founder’s Day – an iterative process; The enhancing traditions subcommittee would like to function as the body of individuals to; would like to format with a welcome from President hatch, 1 Senior Oration, New elements being – the University Chaplain; inviting of individuals from the Indigenous Land Program from the Fall semester, A Keynote Address by Jonathan Walton, recognitions, and members of the Divinity School Choir to sing the Alma Mater – This will now be referred to as University Convocation.  A conversation emerged from the question as to why the name is being changed. It was explained that the event has become less attractive; Founder’s Day this year will occur February 20, 2020 – Several Steering Committee members shared their concern that from previous conversations it sounded as though we may be diverging from a plan that included WFU’s institutional apology about its dealings with slavery as well as a commemorative event recalling WFU’s student support of WSSU students sit-ins at Woolworth’s at the Founder’s Day Event; A recommendation could be that we have more inclusivity in the planning of Founder’s Day
    2. Update re: Institutional Reflections on Wake Forest and Its Relationship with Slavery (Kami Chavis and Tim Pyatt)
    • Drafts were due 1/15
    • Other Business
      • Board of Trustee Minutes (José Villalba) – How many years of minutes will be released and how will it be made accessible? After this information has been made available it will be shared with the Steering Committee.
      • Funding Opportunities/Grant Prospects (Tim Pyatt) – The development officer for the library is now working with SRMP; with the blessing of the Mellon Foundation, SRMP will pursue opportunities for funding.
  • February 28, 2020 Meeting

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Meeting Minutes

    February 28, 2020

    Reynolda 204

    1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m.

     

    1. Committee Updates
    • Faculty/Student Engagement Subcommittee (Dean Franco)

    Curricular reform has emerged as a topic within the college.  Members of CAP have been approached to join the Faculty/Student Engagement Committee, and they have declined membership at this point.  The chairperson of the CAP committee has been contacted about the possibility of joining the committee.  It was recommended that at our next steering committee meeting that the steering committee should develop a perspective on curricular changes with relationship to anti-racism, diversity, and other non-existent.  An African American Studies Program is being and has been discussed.  The Deans office and the SRMP. A Post-doctoral program has continually be processed through various questions.  The RECAAL center was mentioned as being positioned to take advantage of a post-doctoral program emerging. UREKA now has more substantial ways to fund research in the middle of a semester.  After a conversation with UREKA the next step is to cultivate a funding structure that will be ran by UREKA and sponsored by SRMP.  Two-three draft recommendations should begin to be cultivated by each sub-committee over the next two months.  What we have accomplished, what we will like to continue doing, and things we need to pursue in the future.

    • Enhancing Traditions Subcommittee (Tim Pyatt)

    Commemoration for the Enslaved: Remember with Us, will occur on April 30 at 5:30pm.  Our intent will be to read the newly discovered enslaved individuals’ names as well as the names of the individuals already known.  The committee is additionally looking toward the future to potentially acknowledge and commemorate the work of individuals who worked on the campus of WFU during the civil rights movement.  A majority of positive feedback emerged from this year’s Founder’s Day.  However, there were some negative comments as well.

    • Symposia/Lecture Series Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)

    Dr. Dayna Matthew will be the next lecture series speaker on April 28, 2020 at Bowman Gray School of Medicine at 5:30p-7:30p.  (Partner with bookstore and or Bookmark) Robert W. Lee, a distant relative of Robert E. Lee, has emerged as a potential lecturer on April 20, 2020.

    • Exploration of Naming Opportunities Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)

    If you would like to be a member of the emerging task force please email Kami.  1-2 Members of the Board of Trustees will be invited to join this taskforce.  The secretary of the Board of Trustees will be looking into the verbiage that has transpired.  This taskforce will be meeting this semester prior to the end of the semester.  The drafting and heavy lifting will not occur until the fall semester.

    Subcommittee on Commemoration and Naming was a final recommendation given as the name.

    • Built History Subcommittee (Mary Tribble)

    The internship job description was shared with the Steering Committee.  It will be posted on the SRMP website.  WFU has received permission from SEBTS to perform non-evasive excavation on the Original Campus Grounds.  Several individuals travel to Montpelier to glean from their work who have engaged with the descendent community of the enslaved.  They have an outward facing archeological site that is exceptionally active.  It was noted that we need to tread very carefully as to how we interact with any form of descendants.  There will be eventually be a subcommittee convened to look into best practices as to how we begin to look into the ways in which the steering committee will move forward.

     

    2. Update re: Institutional Reflections on Wake Forest and Its Relationship with Slavery (Kami Chavis and Tim Pyatt)

    The table of contents has been assembled and will be distributed to the Steering Committee.

    • Other Business

    A list of grants awarded to date has been emailed to the Steering Committee Members.